Thursday, May 28, 2009

Aeddon goes to "School".

I posted some time ago that we suspected that Aeddon has Aspergers Syndrome. They still wont give us a straight answer on that, but on April 16th he was approved to go to special education classes twice a week so that he might stand a chance of surviving in a regular school environment later.

On Monday May 4th we met with the teacher of the class that Aeddon would be joining. I wanna say her name is Rachel, but honestly I have NO IDEA what her name is. (THAT IS SO TERRIBLE! I am gonna have to find out when I take him to school on Friday!)I just told her the truth! Turns out her name is Rebecca! The only reason I can think of that I thought her name was Rachel is that she reminds me of my mom, which makes me think of my sister, who is named Rachel, which made a R name Rachel instead of Rebecca. There you go!
Anyhoo! So we met with (insert teachers name here!) and she said that she wanted Aeddon to start as soon as possible. So we decided that he would join the class on Mondays and Fridays.

On Friday May 9, 2009 Aeddon started "School" which is not really school so much as special ed meets social therapy.

IMG_1344

We dressed him up in cute clothes and packed him a lunch in a small toy backpack we had handy. (Thank you Carole for giving us the backpacks those blocks came in! They have come in handy several times now!)

He was so proud that he was getting to go to school like a big boy even though he is only a "medium boy". Yep. Aeddon calls himself a medium boy cause he can do all the things a big boy can do, except go potty.

IMG_1345

He proudly walked to the car wearing his little lunch filled backpack.

IMG_1346

Then we took him to school.

IMG_1347

I walked him into class. He wanted to hold my hand. He was so excited, I thought for sure he was gonna explode! When we got inside it was time for lunch. (That is the first thing they do when they get to class everyday. Eat lunch.) So I set up his lunch for him on the tray that they had for him and I gave him a kiss. I told him it was time for me to go. I thought for sure he was gonna have a fit, but he didn't. He just looked at me and smiled and said "OK Mommy! I love you! See you later, after SCHOOL!!!!!!!!"

And that was it. I turned around and walked out and left my sweet little guy at school. And he loves it. He talks about school all the time! That first day he brought me home a plant. It was the Friday before Mothers Day, so they had potted little plants (flower plants actually. It is in bloom now. I will take a picture soon and post it!) and decorated the pots with little foam stickers. Aeddon was so proud of his present for Mommy and he loves that I love it so much.

So that is the story of Aeddon going to School.

3 comments:

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I know it is harder for us then our little ones the first time they go to school:)Hugs Darcy

Katidids said...

Wait till they all have 4-5 teachers...then try & remember them all...I was never able to..it was math teacher with the red hair, short music teacher etc..terrible but it worked....

Katidids said...

So good to see you blogging again! We missed you!