Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cause Knitting isnt addicting enough...

Ok. Some of you may not know this (or care for that matter!) but knitting is addictive. It is alot like crack, except that it wont hurt you ( I guess you could get carpel tunnel or something!) and at the end of the day you have something that you made that you can show off until strangers start yelling at you "Listen Lady! I DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT HOW THE CABLES ON THE BACK OF YOUR FINGERLESS MITTS WOULD SHOW BETTER IF YOU HAD USED A SOLID COLORED YARN, OR THAT EVEN THOUGH YOU REALLY WANT TO, YOU JUST CANT SEEM TO STOP KNITTING UP LONGIES!"

So what is an addicted knitter to do? Take up spinning her own yarn of course!

On Saturday I took a class at Yorkshire Yarns in Lakewood. My teacher was my friend Heather. She is one of the two people who helped me with the koolhaas hat I knit for my FIL. She is a military spouse, like me. I just wish she had more free time so that I wouldn't have to pay for classes to be able to hang out with her!

For one hour she showed me (and 3 other women) the basics of drop spindling. After that hour she sent us baby spinners out into the world to fend for ourselves... With her Ravelry Id in case we had any questions.

After my hour of learning, I went home and showed Owen what I had learned. In the grand tradition of photos of me doing something that were taken by Owen, I only have part of my head.

IMG_9642

By the end of the night I had a spindle full of yarn singles. This morning I made a little mini skein cause I wanted to start spinning up my second try at singles. Wanna see the mini skein? If you answered no, stop reading.

IMG_9646

I have no idea what I will do with it, or even if I will do anything with it at all. I do know this though, It is friggen cute!

By the end of the Oscars tonight, I had my second attempt at singles completed.

IMG_9652

Go me!

5 comments:

Paige Darling said...

woohooo! Isn't spinning fun! Just wait until you get a wheel- you won't get anything else done for a week!

Unknown said...

Owen says I cant get a wheel for at least a year! Bully!

Anonymous said...

you GO, girl. look at you just sittin' & spinnin'. :-)

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Iam going to purchase my first spindle and your yarn looks great:)
where do you put your fiber as you are spinning it? what all do you need besides fiber and a drop spindle? the baby skein is so cute;)Hugs Darcy

Unknown said...

Darcy: I just sort of drape mine over my shoulder. Some people kind of wrap it loosely around their arm. I just let mine hang down my back with my hair... Although I did accidentally spin a few of my own hairs that way... You just need your drop spindle, the fiber and a peice of scrap yarn that is about a yard long. Then you are good to go. I dont know what kind of a spindle you bought, but if it doesnt have a notch in it when you get it.... you may want to add a notch to it. You can notch it with a butterknife if you need to.